ELA / Reading Tutoring
Reading is the basis for all learning and educational success. Struggles with reading can have a significant negative impact on your child—from lower self-esteem to reduced classroom participation and more. Tutoring can help students of any age overcome these obstacles and excel academically.
If your child needs reading help, we’re here for you. Children who work with Maryland Teacher Tutors gain an average of 1.25 grade levels after just three quarters of once-a-week tutoring. Our one-on-one tutoring offers a personalized approach to identify your child’s strengths and needs by creating an individualized plan.
With Reading Tutoring from Maryland Teacher Tutors, your child will:
- Improve reading comprehension. Students of all ages can have difficulty remembering what they read. Our reading tutors utilize research-based strategies to help students not only understand but also retain the information they have read.
- Increase reading speed. Students read at varying speeds, but our reading tutors can help improve speed while maintaining comprehension, when reading feels like an uphill battle.
- Enhance reading accuracy. Mispronouncing words and guessing their meaning can be detrimental to reading progress. Tutoring gives students the skills to improve their reading accuracy and allows them to create a foundation that they can build upon.
- Build confidence. Our reading tutors will continually adjust your child’s individual plan to keep reading fun and challenging. As they reach goals and rise to challenges, their confidence in their newfound skills will inspire them to keep reading and improving.
Elementary School Reading Tutoring
Reading comprehension tutoring in kindergarten through 5th grade helps develop strong reading skills—an essential building block to success in all subjects.
Whether your elementary school student is just getting started with basic reading skills or is already a strong reader looking for an increased challenge, we can help. From vocabulary to phonics, our elementary tutoring students will learn:
- Letter recognition and formation
- Sound identification
- Word recognition and meaning
- Beginner reading comprehension and critical thinking
- Spelling and sight words
Middle School Reading Tutoring
Middle school brings on a new set of demands to students—both inside and outside the classroom. From increased homework to more tests and quizzes, it can be difficult for some students to keep up with increased demands and expectations.
Middle school students are expected to understand more complex words and have deeper reading comprehension to gather meaning. With college entrance exams—like the ACT and SAT—just ahead, now is the perfect time to work with a reading tutor. From word recognition to reading rate and more, middle school tutoring students will gain:
- Improved reading comprehension and critical thinking skills
- The ability to ask meaningful questions to draw conclusions
- Spelling and communication confidence
- Word meaning using context
High School Reading Tutoring
High school students have heavy workloads and high expectations as they prepare for college or a career. These demands, coupled with reading difficulties, can cause students to struggle to keep up.
High school reading tutoring typically focuses on reading comprehension and extracting information while interpreting what is explicitly and implicitly stated. High school reading tutoring will help students:
- Make inferences, draw conclusions, and expand upon critical thinking skills
- Further increase reading rate
- Expand word recognition and meaning for higher-level vocabulary
Ready to get started? Fill out this quick informational form and we will be in touch within 24 hours or call during business hours for immediate service!
Fill out this brief form to schedule a call or correspond via email with someone from our Student Support Team! Or call our support line at (410) 656-6573. Let’s partner to make sure your child can use a solid education as a catalyst to live their dream!