FAQs About Tutoring with MTT
Click on any question to learn more about us!
What kind of results can I expect to see, and what happens if my child doesn’t make progress?
Students who work with MTT teachers gain an average of 1.25 grade levels after just three quarters of once-a-week tutoring with Maryland Teacher Tutors. In other words, 1 hour per week is enough to improve your child’s school standing by almost a grade and a half! Consistent tutoring with MTT can take a proficient 2nd grader to the level of a would-be 3rd grader who is already halfway through the school year!
If your child does not make progress, discuss this with your tutor and ensure you’re both on the same page around your child’s goals and what constitutes a successful academic plan. If you’re still uncertain about your child making progress, contact us directly at [email protected]
What can I do to support the process?
Parents can assist their MTT teacher tutor in the following ways:
- Provide your tutor with any and everything you think they might need to help your child to be successful. For example – what do your child’s teachers say about their work ethic and classroom personality? Are your child’s report cards an accurate reflection of their abilities? What are your goals for your child? What are your child’s strengths and needs?
- Get your child excited about meeting with his or her tutor for the first time, and then every time thereafter! Make it an occasion. If possible, allow your child to choose some special pencils, pens, and supplies that can only be used during their tutoring sessions. Create a special area in your home where students can take some ownership in how it’s set up for their sessions.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions and get clarity from your child’s tutor! Your tutor is glad to discuss your child’s progress with you, and provide you with specific things you can do to help your child accomplish his or her goals.
- Communicate with your child and your child’s teachers to determine how things are going in the classroom environment. Is your child showing an improvement in confidence? Has your child advocated for herself more since starting tutoring? Is your son mastering concepts he was struggling with prior to tutoring?
- Check out this blog post for additional ways that you can take an active role in identifying what’s happening with your child and finding resources that apply to your unique situation.
How will you communicate with me, and how often?
MTT teachers can provide a formal progress report to parents monthly, or parents can opt to have a 30 minute conversation with tutors about their child’s monthly progress. Our teachers are flexible and happy to communicate with you through your preferred method. In addition to the formal conversation or progress report, parents can feel free to ask questions of their tutors.
Do you work and communicate with my child’s teachers?
Communication with teachers and other stakeholders in your child’s education is a dedicated service provided within our academic coaching package. In the context of one-on-one tutoring, our teachers are happy to discuss your child’s progress with you so that you are adequately prepared and informed to talk to your child’s teachers.
How do you measure progress?
MTT’s teacher tutors track progress in a way that’s customized and individualized for your unique student. If you have a specific assessment tool or resource you want your tutor to use, you are welcome to share that with your tutor. However, our teacher tutors have experience using a variety of tools, and after the initial meeting with you and your student, your tutor will determine the best route.
Do you have payment plans and financing options?
We do offer payment plans on a case-by-case basis. You can discuss this with one of our student solutions team members. Keep in mind that paying for tutoring upfront results in consistent, uninterrupted tutoring, which is the best-case scenario for your child to make academic gains.
What can families expect when tutors arrive at their homes?
Before tutors arrive at your home, you can reach them via email to discuss your goals for your child’s tutoring sessions. If there’s anything you want your tutor to know ahead of time, please share!
During the initial tutoring session, tutors will provide a diagnostic assessment and ask for any additional information (prior tests, report cards, teacher comments) that might be helpful in gaining an understanding of your unique child.
Our teacher tutors get right to work during the first session! Once they identify your child’s strengths and needs, teachers will draw on your child’s strengths and begin to hit those trouble spots so you can expect results quickly.
How do you vet your tutors and coaches?
MTT’s teacher tutors are certified educators with a variety of specialties and backgrounds. When we interview a potential teacher, we find out what schools they come from, whether their principals and other supervisors recommend them, and whether their educational philosophy is in line with ours, which is that ALL children can learn and excel under the guidance of an expert teacher with a customized plan!
Will it be the same tutor every time?
Absolutely! The rapport and relationship between an MTT teacher tutor and your child is a top priority! You will always have the same tutor, unless you decide to go in a different direction. Either way, it’s up to you!
What if the tutor is not the right fit?
Our pairing team takes great care to match you with the teacher who is best suited for your student based on the information you provide us during your student solutions call. Nevertheless, if you feel your student is not quite connecting with her tutor or want to change your tutor for any reason, we are happy to do that at no additional cost to you!
Do you offer assessment testing?
Yes! MTT uses MobyMax and CommonLit.org primarily, but our certified teachers have access to a variety of resources. If you have a specific assessment in mind for your student, just share that with our student solutions team who will match you with a teacher who has experience with that particular assessment tool.
How do I become an MTT tutor?
If you are interested in becoming an MTT tutor, you can apply here by filling out some background information and answering a few questions for us to get to know you. Someone from our Hiring & Talent Development team will reach out to you with the next steps. To learn more about what it’s like to work as an MTT teacher tutor, check out this blog post!
Our tutor support team is available to answer any additional questions.
Fill out the form of call us at (443) 594-2187 for immediate assistance.